Michigan No-Fault Lawyer

Experienced No-Fault Insurance Claim Attorney representing clients in Troy, Detroit, Southfield, Ann Arbor, Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Warren, Farmington, Livonia, Rochester, Sterling Heights, Pontiac, Waterford, including Oakland, Wayne, Macomb, St. Clair, Livingston, Genesee, Ingham, Monroe counties and throughout Michigan

Michigan No-Fault Insurance LawyerNO-FAULT AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE is required by law in Michigan.  Every owner of a car must buy certain basic automotive coverage in order to purchase a license plate.  It is against the law to drive or let your car be driven without no-fault insurance.  If you have an auto accident, no-fault insurance pays for your medical expenses, wage loss benefits, household replacement services, attendant care services, and medical mileage.   These five benefits are commonly known as Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits.   With no-fault benefits, it does not matter who caused the accident.  No-fault benefits also pay for the damage you do to other people’s property.   However, basic no-fault insurance does NOT pay for repairs to your automobile.  Below is information to help you understand the No-Fault insurance law and other insurance issues that may apply to you.

To speak with an experienced insurance lawyer now, call Baldwin Legal Services PLLC at (877) 886-1441. We can answer all of your questions – and there is no cost or obligation.

The Basic No-Fault Policy You Must Buy Has Three Parts:

  1. Personal Injury Protection (PIP) If you are hurt in an auto accident, this part of your no-fault policy will pay all of your medical costs. It will also pay up to 85% of the income you would have earned if you had not been hurt, for up to three years. However, the amount that you would be paid for lost income is limited and the limit is revised annually. Effective 10/1/15, the maximum is $5,398 per month. If you are killed in an accident, your policy will pay your family up to $5,398 per month for three years, depending upon what they would have received from your earnings and fringe benefits.  In addition, you are entitled to “up to” $20 per day in replacement services. This is to pay for routine household services which injured persons are no longer able to provide for themselves or their families, such as housekeeping and yard work.
  2. Property Protection (PPI) No-fault will pay up to $1 million for damage your car does in Michigan to other people’s property, such as buildings and fences. It will also pay for damage your car does to another person’s properly parked vehicle.  It does not pay for any other damage to cars.
  3. Residual Liability Insurance - Bodily Injury and Property Damage The no-fault law protects insured persons from being personally sued up to the policy limit as a result of an auto accident, except in certain special situations.  In general, you can only be sued:
    1. if you cause an accident in Michigan in which someone is killed, seriously injured, or permanently disfigured;
    2. if you are involved in an accident in Michigan with a non-resident who is an occupant of a motor vehicle not registered in Michigan;
    3. if you are involved in an accident in another state; or
    4. for up to $1,000 if you are 50% or more at fault in an accident which causes damages to another person’s car which are not covered by insurance.

Your required minimum coverage no-fault policy will pay up to certain amounts if you are found legally responsible. Although you may purchase additional coverage with higher limits, the minimum coverage offers:

  • Up to $20,000 for a person who is hurt or killed in an accident,
  • Up to $40,000 for each accident if several people are hurt or killed.
  • Up to $10,000 for property damage in another state

A No-Fault Policy Covers the Whole Family

A no-fault policy covers all family members living in the same house. Personal injury protection benefits will be paid even when a family member is a passenger in another person’s car or is a pedestrian when an accident takes place. The personal injury protection coverage of your no-fault policy also covers anyone who does not have a no-fault policy and is hurt as a passenger or pedestrian in an accident involving your car.  It will also cover a motorcyclist who is hurt in an accident involving your car.

Insurance You May Want to Buy

There are several types of coverage that you can choose to buy in addition to the required no-fault insurance.  Three of the most common types of extra insurance are described on this page.

  1. Collision and Comprehensive Insurance
    1. Your no-fault insurance DOES NOT pay for repairs to your car if it is damaged in an accident.  If your car is properly parked and hit by another car, the other driver’s no-fault coverage will pay for the damage to your car.  Except for this one situation, the only kinds of auto insurance that will pay for repairs to your car are collision and comprehensive coverage.
    2. Collision coverage pays for repairs to your car when it is damaged in a crash. There are three basic kinds of collision insurance to choose from - limited, standard and broad form. If you have an older car, you may not want collision and comprehensive coverage.  If your car is financed, the company that loans you the money may require that you buy collision and comprehensive coverage.
  2. Limited Property Damage Liability Insurance - “Mini-Tort” Most companies offer coverage for the $1,000 liability mentioned under the residual liability insurance above.
  3. Towing and Rental Car Coverage Towing and Rental Car Coverage is an optional coverage available from most insurance companies as an additional coverage on an automobile insurance policy. This coverage generally covers or reimburses the cost of towing and/or a rental car for covered events (accident, breakdown, flat tire, etc.). The cost is usually small in relation to the total policy premium.

Reimbursement and Documentation

If you’ve been injured in an accident for which no-fault benefits are being sought, you should carefully document each and every expense incurred as the result of your accident.  To the extent possible, all expenses should be carefully itemized, and not lumped together.  For example, travel costs should detail the dates and mileage for every trip and the health care provider seen, or the purposes of the trip.  Medical expense and each prescription should also be individually itemized.  If you purchase items such as medication, you will want to have the original receipt, not just an itemized item on a credit card statement.

We Help Clients Recover No-Fault Insurance Benefits and Pain and Suffering Compensation

The Michigan No-Fault Law is complicated, especially for people who have recently been in an auto accident and don’t know what to do next. Our insurance attorneys have successfully helped people who were told they had no case or that their case was too old.  In addition, our firm retains an attorney who holds a Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree in Insurance Law and knows how to protect you from the insurance companies and to present your claim in the best way possible to ensure your rights are protected and that you get the maximum compensation available.  Please call 877-886-1441 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.

Home & Hospital Visits • Evening & Weekend Appointments • 24 Hours a Day / 7 Days a Week

Baldwin Legal Services PLLC represents clients throughout Michigan in Ann Arbor, Detroit, Troy, Southfield, Warren, Livonia, Novi, Royal Oak, Rochester, Waterford, Farmington, Pontiac, Flint, Saginaw, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Dearborn and communities in Wayne, Monroe, Genesee, Livingston, Kent, Ingham, Washtenaw, Oakland, Macomb and St. Clair counties.

© 2020 Baldwin Legal Services PLLC | Disclaimer
755 W. Big Beaver Road, Suite 2020, Troy, MI 48084
| Phone: (877) 886-1441 | (248) 886-1441

Overview of Services | Personal Injury | Criminal Defense | Insurance Law | Social Security Disability | Probate / Estate Administration | FAQs

Law Firm Website Design by
Amicus Creative

Follow Us